CARAMEL PECAN SAUCE WITH DRIED PLUMS
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
• 3 cups sugar
• 1 cup water
• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) pitted dried plums, each cut in half
• 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In heavy medium saucepan, heat sugar and water over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.
Increase heat to medium; bring to a boil.
Boil, without stirring, 20 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown; remove from heat.
(Watch carefully during last 10 minutes; mixture will darken quickly once color begins to change.)
Using wire whisk, slowly stir in cream. (Mixture will bubble up.)
Stir in dried plums, pecans, lemon juice and cinnamon; allow to cool.
Pour into jars with lids for gift-giving.
Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Serve warm over ice cream and sliced pound cake, if desired.
Can also be served warm over fresh or poached pears.
- To toast pecan halves, arrange in even layer on baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
% of Calories from Fat 38%
California Dried Plum Board - www.californiadriedplums.org