SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friends
by Rise' Routenberg, Barbara Wasser
Serve these tangy meatballs as buffet hors d'oeuvres from a chafing dish, over a bed of rice or orzo, or as a starter course.
Yield 24 Mini-Meatballs
• 1½ tablespoons ketchup
• 1½ tablespoons -water
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 teaspoon pepper to taste
• 1 pound ground beef
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix ketchup with water and seasonings and combine with beef.
3. Shape meat into 1/2-inch balls and place on sheet.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Drain.
• 1/4 cup chill sauce
• 1/2 cup sweet red wine
• 3/4 cup jellied cranberry sauce
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice to taste
• 1 bay leaf
1. Combine all ingredients. Bring sauce to boil in saucepan, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Add meatballs and continue to simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
3. Meatballs and sauce may be chilled at this point. Skim fat before reheating.