ASIAN STYLE PORK MEATBALLS
All Natural Diabetes Cookbook
by Jackie Newgent
These meatballs are so good that you'll be surprised at how few calories they have... just 35 each! It's the soy sauce that provides the deliciousness called "umami."Now that's worth celebrating—and these perky meatbalh are definitely party-worthy. Serve them with Zesty Orange-Ginger Dip (see recipe below) fora yin-yang flavor appeal.
Serves 10, Serving size: 2 meatballs
• 1 lb lean ground pork (antibiotic free)
• 2 Tbsp cold water
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
• 2 Tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
• 2 Tbsp naturally brewed reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• Zesty Orange-Ginger Dip (below)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and combine with your hands, then make 20 meatballs (about 2 Tbsp mixture each). Moisten hands with water when forming the meatballs if the mixture becomes sticky.
3. Place the meatballs on a nonstick baking pan and bake 15 minutes or until done. Serve on toothpicks.
In a spicy mood? Add about 1/4 tsp each freshly ground black pepper and ground cayenne red pepper into the pork mixture before forming the meatballs.
ZESTY ORANGE GINGER DIP
The secret to this dip is its tanginess and tartness. It works its magic best with savory dishes.
Serves 10, serving size: 2 Tbsp
• 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
• 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
• 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
• 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
• 1/2 tsp orange zest (grated peel)
In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt and oil until well combined. Whisk in the juice, ginger, and zest.
Food Flair: Dips can often double as condiments. Spread this cool condiment onto chicken, pork, or turkey sandwiches.
Nutrition for Meatballs
Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat; 70 calories, 23 calories from fat, 3 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 1 g total carbohydrate, 0 g dietary fiber, 0 g sugars, 10 g protein.
Nutrition for Dip:
Exchanges: free; 20 calories, 6 calories from fat, 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 2 g total carbohydrate, 0 g dietary fiber, 2 g sugars, 1 g protein.