THAI BEEF MEATBALLS WITH PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
Makes about 25 meatballs
• Food grinder / Flat beater
• Large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper
• 1 pound (500 g) boneless beef chuck or cross rib, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh mint
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons (25 mL) fish sauce
• 2 teaspoons (10 mL) Thai red curry paste
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
Peanut Dipping Sauce
• 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lightly packed light brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Thai red curry paste
• 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Southeast Asian fish sauce
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) crunchy peanut butter
Prepare the meatballs: Place beef in a shallow container in the freezer for 30 minutes to facilitate grinding. Attach the food grinder, with the coarse plate, to the mixer. Set to Speed 4 and run beef through the grinder into a large bowl. Stir in garlic, mint, cilantro, fish sauce and red curry paste. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Run through the food grinder again, this time into the mixer bowl. Add egg and bread crumbs. Remove the food grinder and attach the flat beater and mixer bowl. Set to Stir and mix just until ingredients are well combined.
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Form level tablespoonfuls (15 mL) of the meat mixture into 1¼-inch (3 cm) meatballs and arrange on prepared baking sheet, at least 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart.
Bake in upper third of preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and no longer pink inside.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, curry paste and fish sauce. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peanut butter and cook, stirring, until peanut butter is well blended.
Place meatballs on a serving platter and serve warm with sauce.
Prepare through Step 2 (uncooked balls formed on pan) and refrigerate, loosely covered, for up to 1 day.
Recipe from THE MIXER BIBLE, SECOND EDITION
by Meredith Deeds and Carla Snyder
(Robert Rose, October 2008, $27.95/softcover)