SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED FLANK STEAK
Semi-Homemade Grilling 2
by Sandra Lee
Prep 25 minutes
Stand 5 minutes
Grill 1 1/2 hours
Makes 4 servings
For Southwestern Rub:
• 1 packet (1.25-ounce) chili seasoning mix, McCormick
• 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, C&H
• 1 tablespoon paprika, McCormick
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, McCormick
• One 1¾ pound beef flank steak
• 3 cups baby spinach, Fresh Express
• 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
• 1/2 package (24-ounce) polenta, cut in half lengthwise
• 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips, Delallo
• 1 can (7-ounce) diced roasted green chiles, Ortega
1. For Southwestern Rub, in a small bowl, combine chili seasoning mix, brown sugar, paprika, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Place steak on cutting board and with a very sharp knife, butterfly steak, cutting horizontally through the meat lengthwise and leaving it hinged together on one side. Open steak and season with Southwestern Rub on both sides.
3. Place the steak on a piece of aluminum foil so the grain of the meat runs side-to-side and parallel to the edge of the counter. Starting at the edge nearest you, arrange spinach over steak, leaving 1 inch at the far end bare. Top spinach with prosciutto. Cut the polenta lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Lay polenta strips across the prosciutto (with the grain of the steak), alternating with roasted red bell pepper strips. Sprinkle green chiles on top. Starting at the edge nearest you, roll the steak up like a jelly roll. Wrap the foil around the meat and twist the ends to secure.
4. Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (no direct heat source under steak). Place wrapped steak on hot grill and cover grill. Cook for 1½ to 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, turning every 20 minutes. Remove steak from grill. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare steak as directed. Place wrapped steak in a roasting pan. Roast in oven for 1½ to 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Serve as directed.