SPANISH STYLE BEEF BRISKET
Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2008
Food & Wine Magazine
Active: 1 hr
Total: 4 hr 30 min
• 2 tablespoons sweet pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• One 6½-pound beef brisket
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 large onions, thinly sliced
• 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
• 2½ cups chicken stock or broth
• One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
• 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
• 2 bay leaves
• Large pinch of saffron threads
• 1½ cups dry sherry
• 1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Mix the paprika with 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper. Rub over the brisket. Heat the oil in a large roasting pan over 2 burners.Add the meat and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, 6 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook over moderately low heat. stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, sherry vinegar, thyme, bay leaves, saffron and sherry and bring to a boil over high heat. Return the brisket to the pan and cover well with foil. Braise in the oven for 3 hours, or until tender, turning once and basting occasionally with pan juices. Add the olives after the first 1½ hours.
3. Transfer the meat to a platter and cover with foil. Strain the pan juices into a large saucepan, reserving the solids. Skim the juices and boil until reduced to 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Return the solids to the juices and season with salt and pepper.
4. Slice the meat across the grain and return to the pan, retaining the shape of the brisket. Spoon the juices on top, cover with foil and braise for 25 minutes. Serve the brisket in its juices.
Wine: Earthy, medium-bodied Tempranillo.