BBQ BRISKET WITH GUINNESS MOP SAUCE
Semi-Homemade Grilling 2
by Sandra Lee
Prep: 15 minutes
Stand: 10 minutes
Grill: 3 1/2 hours
Makes: 12 servings
• One 6-pound beef brisket
• 15 whole peeled garlic cloves, Global Farms
• 1 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning, McCormick Grill Mates
• 2 teaspoons gumbo file, Zatarain's
• 1 packet (1.31-ounce) sloppy joe mix, McCormick®
• 1 bottles (12 ounces each) stout, Guinness
• 1 cup or more apple cider, Tree Top
• 2 sweet onions, sliced
• 2 cups barbecue sauce, KC Masterpiece
1. Soak 1 cup hickory or oak wood chips in water for at least 1 hour; drain. Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (no direct heat source under brisket).
2. Cut small slits all over brisket and insert garlic cloves. In a small bowl, combine steak seasoning, gumbo file, and sloppy joe mix. Rub seasoning mixture into brisket and place in foil baking pan. Pour stout over top. Add enough apple cider to cover brisket halfway. Top with onions. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
3. Place on hot grill over drip pan. Cover grill and cook for 2 1/2 hours. If using charcoal, add 10 briquettes to each pile of coals every hour.
4. Remove brisket and foil pan from grill. Add wood chips to smoke box if using gas grill or place chips onto hot coals if using charcoal. Remove brisket from braising liquid and place directly on grill grate over drip pan. Reserve onions and braising liquid.
5. To make mop sauce, combine 2 cups of the braising liquid with the barbecue sauce. Baste brisket thoroughly with mop sauce. Cover grill. Cook for 1 hour more, turning and basting brisket with sauce every 20 minutes. Transfer brisket to cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes. Thinly slice beef against the grain. Serve with sweet onions and mop sauce on the side.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare brisket as directed. Roast in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Remove brisket from braising liquid and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Combine barbecue sauce with 2 cups braising liquid. Baste brisket with barbecue sauce mixture; return to oven. Roast for 30 minutes more, turning and basting brisket with sauce every 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve as directed.