PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
by King Arthur Flour
The perfect cross between pumpkin pie and bread pudding, this dessert is easy to put together ahead of time and bake just before you need it. Most whole grain breads work well in this recipe, but it's worth trying with cinnamon raisin or pumpkin raisin bread for a truly extraordinary indulgence.
Yield: 16 servings
Baking Temperature: 350°F
Baking Time: 40 to 45 minutes
• 6 cups (9 ounces) cubed, slightly stale whole wheat bread
• 1 cup (5 1/4 ounces) raisins
• 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup (3 3/4 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 2 cups (16 ounces) half-and-half
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) dark rum
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 2 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) crystallized ginger (optional)
• 1/4 cup (1 ounce) white whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup (1 7/8 ounces) packed light or dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup (7/8 ounce) diced pecans
Toss the bread cubes in a large bowl with the raisins. In a separate bowl, whisk the pumpkin with the eggs and brown sugar. Whisk in the half-and-half, rum and spices and pour the mixture over the bread. Stir the mixture to be sure everything is coated, cover the bowl and let the mixture sit overnight in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to bake the pudding, remove the custard from the refrigerator. To make the topping, combine the flour and sugar with the butter in a small bowl and press together with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the pecans.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch-square pan. Add the crystallized ginger, if using, to the bread mixture and give it a final stir, then turn it into the greased pan.
Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the top of the pudding.
Bake the pudding until it's set, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the pudding from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 Serving, 106G): 8g whole grains, 186 cal, 8g fat, 4g protein, 15g complex carbohydrates, 10g sugar, 2g dietary fiber, 44mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 237mg potassium, 266RE vitamin A, 2mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 67mg calcium, 101mg phosphorus.