CHERRY BANANA RAISIN BREAD PUDDING
The proof is in the pudding— Add dried cherries to a traditional bread pudding for a tart-sweet breakfast or dessert treat.
Makes 6 servings.
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups lowfat milk (used 1% for nutritional analysis)
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 4 cups raisin bread cut into 3/4-inch squares (8 ounces)
• 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
• 1 large very ripe banana, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
Creamy Topping (Optional):
• 1/2 cup light sour cream
• 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir together beaten eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl using a wire whisk.
Place two-thirds of the bread pieces in an 8x8x2-inch baking pan or dish. Top with cherries, banana slices and remaining bread pieces. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture.
Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 65 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, for topping, stir together sour cream, brown sugar, orange peel and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.
Serve bread pudding topped with sour cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 364 calories, 8 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 62 g carbohydrate, 152 mg cholesterol, 12 g protein, 3 g fiber, 245 mg sodium; Daily Values: 20% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 10% iron
For more cherry recipes and tips, visit www.choosecherries.com.