POTATO CHEDDAR GNOCCHI WITH BACON & EGGS
Yield: 24 servings
• 6 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 4 Eggs, beaten
• 1/2 cup Half-and-half
• 8 oz. Grated Cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup Salt
• 1 lb, 8oz. All-purpose flour
• 4 lbs. Plum tomatoes
• 1/4 cup Olive oil
• 4 teaspoons Salt
• 1 teaspoon Black pepper
• 2 cups Chopped basil
• 24 Eggs, poached
• 48 Bacon strips, cooked
1. To make Potato-Cheddar Gnocchi: Steam potatoes over boiling water, covered, about 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer to large bowl; mash with potato masher. Cool slightly; gently mix in eggs, half-and-half, cheese and salt. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing gently after each addition. If dough is sticky, add a bit more flour.
2. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. On floured surface, roll each piece into a 1-inch–diameter rope; flatten slightly and cut into 24 gnocchi. Transfer gnocchi to sheet pan lined with lightly floured towel; cover with another towel. Refrigerate until needed.
3. To make Oven-Roasted Tomatoes: Quarter tomatoes; cut each quarter in half again. In large bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Spread tomatoes on sheet pan in one layer. Roast in 475°F oven about 20 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
4. For each serving, to order: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add 16 Potato-Cheddar Gnocchi; boil about 5 minutes or until firm and cooked through. With skimmer, transfer gnocchi to mixing bowl; add 8 pieces Oven-Roasted Tomato and 4 teaspoons basil. Toss gently; transfer to shallow soup bowl. Place 1 warm poached egg on top of gnocchi; garnish with 2 strips bacon.
Wisconsin Potato & Vegetable Growers Association
United States Potato Board 2005 Potato Menu Innovation Recipe Contest, www.healthypotato.com
Katie Schnidman, Bayberry Inn in Newport, Rhode Island