ORANGE CRANBERRY LOAF
Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking
by Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
Sweet, tart, and festive could best describe this quick bread made with ruby-red cranberries and orange juice and zest.
Prep time: 5 to 7 minutes
Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
Serving size: 1 slice
• 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1/4 tsp. sea salt
• Juice and zest of 1 orange
• 1/3 cup plus 1 TB. soy milk or other nondairy milk of choice
• 1/4 cup agave nectar
• 1/4 cup safflower oil
• 1¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
• 1 cup vegan powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 8x4x2½-inch loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add orange juice and zest, 1/3 cup soy milk, agave nectar, safflower oil, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and stir gently to combine. Fold in cranberries.
3. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool slightly in the pan and transfer to a rack to cool completely before topping with glaze.
4. For glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon soy milk, and remaining 'A teaspoon vanilla extract. Add additional soy milk 1 teaspoon at a time, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over loaf and allow to harden slightly before slicing.
Variation: Omit the glaze altogether and simply dust the loaf lightly with vegan powdered sugar.
Thymely Tip: Easily adapt this recipe to make a delicious zucchini bread. Simply replace the cranberries with 1¼ cups grated zucchini, substitute the juice and zest of 1 lemon, add an additional 1/4 cup soy milk and 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ginger. Feel free to also add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts and 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins.