King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
by King Arthur Flour
This light-textured, orange and spice-scented rye loaf is a favorite among Scandinavians. It's especially delightful toasted and spread with sweet butter, or butter and orange marmalade.
Yield: 1 (8-inch) round loaf, 16 servings
Baking Temperature: 350°F
Baking Time: 35 to 40 minutes
• 1 cup (4 ounces) traditional whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cool water
• Pinch of instant yeast
• All of the pre-ferment
• 1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) orange juice, room temperature
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) lukewarm water
• 1/4 cup (3 ounces) molasses
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
• 1 cup (3 3/4 ounces) whole rye (pumpernickel) flour
• 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup (1 ounce) nonfat dry milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons each caraway seeds, fennel seeds and anise seeds
• Grated zest of 1 medium orange (about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1 tablespoon instant yeast
To Prepare The Pre-Ferment: Mix the pre-ferment ingredients in a small (2- to 3-cup) bowl, cover the bowl, and let rest overnight at room temperature.
To Prepare The Dough: Combine all the ingredients including the pre-ferment and mix and knead them—by hand, mixer or bread machine—until you have a soft, smooth dough. Cover and allow the dough to rise until it's puffy, though not doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan.
Shape the dough into a ball, flatten it slightly, and center it in the prepared pan. Cover with a proof cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow it to rise until it's nearly filled the pan, edge to edge, and has domed to about 1 inch higher than the rim of the pan in the center, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Toward the end of the rise, preheat the oven to 350°F.
To Bake The Bread: Uncover and bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting it with foil after 20 minutes. The bread is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 190°F. Remove it from the oven, and after a minute or so turn it out onto a rack. Cool the bread for 30 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 Slice, 45G): 14g whole grains, 239 cal, 2g fat, 4g protein, 17g complex carbohydrates, 4g sugar, 3g dietary fiber, 4mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 176mg potassium, 13RE vitamin A, 3mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 42mg calcium, 108mg phosphorus.