JALAPENO AND ROASTED RED PEPPER CHEESE BREAD
Makes 16 servings
• 3/4 cup warm water (100 -110º F)
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
• 2 3/4 cups bread flour, divided
• 1/4 cup pureed roasted red bell pepper
• 1 large egg
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• Cooking Spray
• 8 ounces grated Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Jalapeno Cheddar (about 2 cups)
• 1 teaspoon melted Cabot Salted Butter
1. In large bowl, combine water, sugar and yeast; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups of flour, pureed pepper, egg and salt to yeast mixture; stir until soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding some of remaining flour a tablespoon at a time to keep dough from sticking. (Alternatively, prepare dough in electric bread machine.)
2. Place dough in large bowl coated with cooking spray; lightly coat surface of dough with additional cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm (85ºF), draft-free place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Punch dough down; cover with clean kitchen towel and let stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto lightly floured work surface and roll out into 12-by-8-inch rectangle.
4. Sprinkle cheese over dough, leaving 1/2-inch margin around edges. Beginning with long side, roll up jellyroll fashion; pinch seam to seal completely.
5. Coat 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and place dough seam-side-down in pan. Lightly spray top of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise again in warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
6. Toward end of rising time, preheat oven to 375ºF. Uncover bread and bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Remove loaf from pan and brush top with melted butter. Let cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices with serrated knife.
Calories 130 , Total Fat 3g , Saturated Fat 2g , Sodium 165mg , Carbohydrates 18g , Dietary Fiber <1g , Protein 7g , Calcium 107mg
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative