MANGO PARADISE MUFFINS
This time of year, the mangos look so luscious, especially since the local fruit is not on yet. With a little luck, you’ll find firm, ripe mangos without bruises at reasonable prices. Load up on them. Now what to do with all those luscious mangoes? Mangos work well in muffins and quick breads where the moisture enhances the bread.
The following recipe calls for diced mangos and coconut. The recipe also calls for a touch of allspice which complements the mango well. They are topped with a brown sugar streusel. These are great, moist muffins that bake into well-domed attractive treats you’ll want to share with your guests.
Recipe courtesy of the Prepared Pantry - Dedicated to helping you bake with time-saving baking mixes, quality tools, hard-to-find ingredients, and some of the best baking information on the web. CLICK HERE for FREE Book How To Bake
Mango Paradise Muffin Recipe
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 3/4 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup diced mangoes
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 3 tablespoons butter
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
1. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together including the coconut.
2. In another bowl, whisk two large eggs. Add the milk, melted butter, and brown sugar. Add the mangoes.
3. With a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into 10 to 12 well-greased muffin tins. Ten muffins will give you large, nicely-domed muffins. Fill any unused muffins cups half full of water.
4. For the streusel topping, mix together the three tablespoons flour, the three tablespoons brown sugar, and the cinnamon. Cut in the three tablespoons batter until crumbly. Spoon the topping over the batter in the muffin tins.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until they test done with a toothpick. Let the muffins sit in the tins for a few minutes and then remove them to wire racks to cool.