Today in Food History
• National Cherries Jubilee Day
(Cherries Jubilee Recipe)
• Brooklyn Dodgers Memorial Day (see 1957 below)
• Family Day: Spend time with your kids! (Sept 24, 2018) [www.casafamilyday.org/ ]
• UK: Red Squirrel Week (Sept 24-30, 2018) common, Red Squirrels are now only found in certain areas of the UK, which is why The Wildlife Trusts are working to protect them. (The Wildlife Trusts)
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 22 - Oct 7, 2018))
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2018)
On this day in:
1870 Georges Claude was born (died May 23, 1960). A French engineer, he invented the neon light, commonly used for signs. (Advertising Food Trivia)
1889 Alexander Dey, of Glasgow, Scotland, patented a dial time recorder ('Workman's Time-Recorder').
1930 U.S. astronaut John Young was born. He smuggled a corned beef sandwich aboard the first Gemini spacecraft flight in 1965.
(‘Corned’ Trivia -- Astronaut Food Trivia)
1936 Jim Henson, puppeteer was born. Creator of the 'Muppets' - including Miss Piggy & the Cookie Monster.
1940 The French Sardine Company of California registered the 'Star-Kist' trademark for canned tuna.
(Tuna fish Trivia)
1944 Rosa Lee Hawkins of the vocal group 'The Dixie Cups' was born.
1957 Last game of the greatest baseball team in history. On September 24, the last game is played at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn as the Dodgers prepare to move to LA. The Dodgers beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 2-0. On February 23 of 1960, the stadium was torn down. Days that will live in infamy! I guess you can tell I was born in Brooklyn.
1964 'The Munsters' premiered on CBS television.
1967 'Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie' by Jay & The Techniques was number 8 on the Top 40 music charts.
1969 Ontario, Canada bans the use of the pesticide DDT, effective January 1, 1970.
1991 Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel) died. Writer and cartoonist. A few of his childrens books were 'Green Eggs and Ham,' 'One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish,' 'Scrambled Eggs Super!' and 'The Butter Battle Book'
2013 Burger King introduced 'Satisfries' a new crinkle-cut french fry with about 20% fewer calories then its regular fries. (Burger King Trivia & Facts)