NOVEMBER 14 - Today in Food History
• World Diabetes Day (Nov 14 each year)
[International Diabetes Federation]
• National Spicy Guacamole Day
(Avocado Trivia & Facts -- Guacamole Recipes)
• National Pickle Day (Pickle Trivia & Facts)
• National Hunger & Homeless Awareness Week (Nov 11-19, 2017 - week before Thanksgiving) [National Coalition for the Homeless] A time to share our compassion with our neighbors who are experiencing homelessness.
• World Fair Trade Week (Nov 8-15, 2017) [a biennial events in odd years) A biennial event initiated by the World Fair Trade Organization
• National Split Pea Soup Week (Nov 12-18, 2017)
(Pea Soup Recipes)
• Australia: Recycling Week (Nov 13-19, 2017)
• UK: National School Meals Week (Nov 13-17, 2017)
On this day in:
1832 The 'John Mason', the first horse-drawn streetcar, was demonstrated to officials in New York City. (see also Nov 26, 1832 for details)
1851 Herman Melville's novel 'Moby Dick' was published. Captain Ahab's search for the white whale.
1863 Leo Hendrik Baekeland was born. He was a chemist who invented Bakelite, the first plastic that did not soften when heated. Those black plastic knobs on stoves were made of bakelite.
1865 Prosper Montagne was born. Montagne was one of the great French chefs of all time. He is mainly remembered as the creator of ‘Larousse Gastronomique’ (1938), a comprehensive encyclopedia of French gastronomy.
1889 George S. Kaufman was born. A playwright, he wrote 'The Man Who Came to Dinner,' and the script for 'Cocoanuts' for the Marx Brothers.
1889 Nellie Bly (Elizabeth Jane Cochran), began her successful attempt to beat the record of Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg to go 'Around the World in Eighty Days'. Bly was a U.S. newspaper reporter and completed the journey in 72 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes and 14 seconds.
1922 The BBC officially began daily radio broadcasting with the 6 p.m. news.
1950 Ricky Sharpe, a 13 year-old Junior Farmer from Alberta, wins the World Wheat Championship at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto, Canada. His 18 lb sample of Marquis wheat was judged the finest.
(Wheat Trivia and facts)
1960 OPEC, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, was formed.
1964 Nic Dalton of the music group 'Lemonheads' was born.
1972 The Dow Jones industrial average closed above 1,000 for the first time, closing at 1,003.16.
2011 Canada released the first of the country's newest banknotes - $100 bills made from a plastic polymer.