NOVEMBER 12 - Today in Food History
• National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day
(Pizza Trivia -- History of Pizza -- Pizza Quotes)
• International Tempranillo Day (Nov 12, 2020 2nd Thurs) A black grape variety native to Spain and used in the great Rioja and Ribera del Duero wines, it is now the 3rd most widely planted wine grape variety worldwide. [Tampranillo Society]
• Chicken Soup for the Soul Day
(Chicken Soup Recipes --- Chicken Quotes)
• Happy Hour Day
• National Split Pea Soup Week: Celebrated in the U.S. since 1969 (Nov 9-15, 2020 - 2nd week in Nov)
[Northern Pulse Growers Assn]
(Pea Soup Recipes --- Pea Quotes)
• Australia: [Recycling Week] (Nov 9-15, 2020)
• UK: [National School Meals Week] (Nov 9-13, 2020)
On this day in:
1901 National Biscuit Company registered ‘Nabisco’ trademark (biscuits, crackers, bread).
1908 William Keith Brooks died. An influential zoologist, he was a champion for the conservation of the Chesapeake Bay oyster.
(Oyster Trivia --- Oyster Quotes --- Oyster Recipes)
1924 Washburn Crosby Company (General Mills predecessor) introduced 'Wheaties' breakfast cereal. (Originally called ‘Washburn's Gold Medal Whole Wheat Flakes’). (Wheaties Trivia)
1926 Jack Ryan was born. Before helping to develop the Barbie Doll for Mattell, Ryan worked for the Pentagon designing missiles!
1936 The first TV Gardening show 'In Your Garden' is broadcast on BBC television.
1936 The Oakland Bay Bridge opened.
1947 Buck Dharma of the music group 'Blue Oyster Cult' was born.
1954 Ellis Island in New York Harbor closed after processing more than 12 million immigrants since its opening in 1892.
1956 Ice cubes, anyone? The U.S. Navy icebreaker, USS Glacier, sighted the largest iceberg ever recorded. At 208 miles long and 60 miles wide it was about the size of Belgium!. The iceberg had broken from the Ross Ice Shelf in the Antarctic.
1974 After more than 125 years, salmon returned to the River Thames in England.
(Salmon Trivia & Facts --- Salmon Recipes)
1980 The play 'Lunch Hour' opened on Broadway.
1989 The musical drama 'Grand Hotel' opened on Broadway. It ran for 1,017 performances.
2020 Coronavirus: All states show substantial increases in new coronavirus infections, with at least 17 states at peak levels; Numerous States and Cities reinstating strict lockdowns and school closings.