MAY 19 - Today in Food History
• National Devil's Food Cake Day
• National Pizza Party Day (May 19, 2017 - 3rd Fri)
(Pizza History -- Pizza Trivia & Facts -- Pizza Recipes)
• Food Allergy Awareness Week (May 14-20, 2017)
• American Craft Beer Week (May 15-21, 2017)
• National Women’s Health Week (May 14-20, 2017) begins on Mother’s Day
• World Trade Week (May 14-20, 2017) Every year, the President of the United States declares the third full week of May as World Trade Week.
• UK: British Sandwich Week (May 14-20, 2017) The British Sandwich Association (Sandwich Recipes)
• UK: National Vegetarian Week (May 15-21, 2017)
[The Vegetarian Society] (Vegetarian Trivia & Facts)
On this day in:
1713 More than 200 people rioted on Boston Common over the high price of bread. (Massachusetts Food Trivia)
(Massachusetts Food Festivals)
1834 Catharine Furbish was born. An American botanist, she spent almost 40 years traveling and painting watercolors of the flora of the state of Maine.
(Maine Food Trivia -- Maine Food Festivals)
1861 Helen Porter Mitchel was born (died Feb 23, 1931). Stage name, Nellie Melba. A world famous operatic soprano born in Australia, Melba Toast and Peach Melba were named for her. Escoffier is thought to have been involved with the creation and/or naming of both dishes.
1864 Carl Akeley was born (died Nov 18, 1926). A biologist, taxidermist, nature photographer and conservationist.
1910 The Earth passed through the tail of Halley's Comet and nothing happened. There had been dire predictions that everyone would die, and many hucksters sold 'comet pills' to counter the effects of the 'comet gas.'
1911 In Canada, The Dominion Parks Branch of the Department of the Interior is established, the world’s first national parks service.
(Canadian Cuisine -- Canada: Food Festivals)
1927 The luxury Boston Ritz-Carlton hotel opened. Room rates were $15. Purchased by Taj Hotels in 2006 and renamed Taj Boston; current room rates range from $350 to $3,000.
1941 Jane Ellen Brody was born. New York Times 'Personal Health' columnist and author of numerous books on health and nutrition, including 'Jane Brody’s Nutrition Book' and 'Jane Brody’s Good Food Book'.
1962 Marilyn Monroe sings 'Happy Birthday' at a birthday salute to President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.
2006 Nicole Belinda Franzen Reese was chosen as the 59th 'Alice in Dairyland' by the Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection. She will be the spokesperson for the states agriculture industry.
(Wisconsin Food Trivia -- Wisconsin Food Festivals)