MARCH 6 - Today in Food History
• White Chocolate Cheesecake Day
(Cheesecake Recipes -- Cooking Tips)
• National Frozen Food Day (see 1930 below)
(Frozen Food & Freezing Foods - What Not to Freeze)
• Oreo Cookie Day (see 1912 below)
• Pancake Week (March 4-10, 2019 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• National School Breakfast Week (March 4-8, 2019)
[School Nutrition Association]
· Breakfast Recipes --- Breakfast Facts & Trivia
• World Salt Awareness Week March 4-10, 2019)
[World Action on Salt & Health] [On March 12, 1930 Mahatma Gandhi began his march to the coastal village of Dandi, to protest the British salt monopoly.
· Salt Facts and Trivia · Salt Kitchen Tips
· Articles: Salt of the Earth 1 · Salt of the Earth 2
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 25-March 10, 2019) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• UK: [British Pie Week] (March 4-10, 2019)
On this day in:
1899 Acetylsalycilic acid ('Aspirin') was patented by Felix Hoffmann (for Friedrich Bayer & Co.) in Berlin, Germany (see also Feb 27, 1900)
1912 Nabisco debuts the Oreo cookie. A red letter day in the history of cookies! (Nabisco Trivia & Facts)
1917 Harry Coover was born (died March 26, 2011). Inventor of 'Eastman 910' commonly known as Super Glue.
1930 Retail frozen foods ('Birds Eye Frosted Foods') go on sale for the first time in a test marketing in Springfield, Massachusetts. Various fruits, vegetables, meat and fish were offered for sale to see how consumers would react to frozen foods. Clarence Birdseye had developed the method used to successfully freeze foods on a commercial scale. The test was a resounding success. (Frozen Food Trivia & Facts)
1940 In Canada, the wartime Agricultural Supplies Board was founded.
1950 Silly Putty was introduced to the world at the International Toy Fair in New York. Packaged in 1 ounce portions in plastic eggs.
1971 'One Bad Apple' by The Osmonds was #1 on the music charts.
2007 Ernest Gallo died (born March 18, 1909). Co-founded E & J Gallo Winery with his brother Julio in 1933. It is the largest winery in the U.S. with about 25% of the U.S. wine market. (California Wine Articles)
2012 Rebekah Speight of Dakota City, Nebraska sold a McDonald's Chicken McNugget that resembles President George Washington for $8,100 on eBay. She had kept the McNugget in her freezer for 3 years before deciding to sell it. (McDonald’s Trivia & Facts)
2015 The movie 'Kidnapping Mr. Heineken' debuted in U.S. theatres. About the kidnapping of beer tycoon Alfred 'Freddy' Heineken on November 9, 1983.