MARCH 7 - Today in Food History
• Turn your clock ahead before going to bed tonight - Daylight Saving Time begins tomorrow, March 8, 2020
• Crown Roast of Pork Day
· Crown Roast Recipe -- Pork Facts & Trivia
• National Cereal Day (see 1897 below)
· Cereal Recipes -- Cereal Facts & Trivia
• Feast of St. Perpetua, patron of cattle.
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 24-March 8, 2020) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• UK: [British Pie Week] (March 2-8, 2020)
• UK: [SPAM Appreciation Week] (March 2-8, 2020)
On this day in:
1804 John Wedgwood, the son of Josiah Wedgwood of pottery fame, founded the Royal Horticultural Society.
1849 Luther Burbank was born. American horticulturist, he developed many new varieties of fruits and vegetables, including the Burbank Potato (1873), the Shasta Daisy, over 100 varieties of plums and prunes and 10 varieties of berries.
1854 Charles Miller of St. Louis Missouri was issued U.S. patent 10,609 for the first U.S. sewing machine that could stitch button holes.
1876 Alexander Graham Bell receives U.S. patent No. 174465 for his new invention, the telephone.
(see also March 10, 1876)
1885 Kansas bans the driving of Texas cattle across its borders to protect its farmland and stop the spread of disease from Texas cattle ('Texas Fever').
(Kansas Food Trivia - Texas Food Trivia)
1897 Dr. John Kellogg served corn flakes for the first time to his patients at his hospital in Battle Creek, Michigan. They wouldn't be sold commercially until 1906.
1902 Bernard Frank was born (died Nov 15, 1964). American forester and conservationist, he was one of the eight co-founders of the Wilderness Society.
1914 The Coca Cola Bottler's Association was formed.
(Coca Cola Trivia and Facts)
1939 Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians record the New Year's Eve standard, 'Auld Lang Syne' for the first time (see also Dec 31, 1928)
1942 'Moonlight Cocktail' by Glenn Miller was #1 on the music charts.
1955 Phyllis Diller made her debut as a stand-up comic at the Purple Onion in San Francisco, California.
2014 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' opened in U.S. theatres. The adventures of the hotel's concierge Gustave H and his friend Zero Moustafa the lobby boy.