MARCH 1 - Today in Food History
• National Pig Day · Pig Facts & Trivia
• [National Horse Protection Day] (World Horse Day)
· Horse Facts & Trivia
• National Peanut Butter Lover's Day
· Peanut Butter Facts & Trivia
• National Fruit Compote Day · Fruit Compote Recipe
• National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend:
[Girl Scouts of America] (Feb 28-March 1, 2020)
• Wales: St. David's Day. Welshmen wear leeks in their hats today. (Leek Trivia)
• [National Eating Disorders Awareness Week] (Feb 24-March 1, 2020)
• Pancake Week (Feb 24-March 1, 2020 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 24-March 8, 2020) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• UK: [Real Bread Week] (Feb 22-March 1, 2020) A celebration of additive-free loaves and the people who make them.
On this day in:
1697 Francesco Redi died (born Feb 18, 1626). He was the first to demonstrate that maggots were not spontaneously generated, but actually came from the eggs of flies.
1736 Ann Lee, founder of the Shakers, was born on February 29, 1736. To commemorate her birthday, each year on March 1 the Shakers held an afternoon meeting, followed by a supper at which this cake was served. The original recipe advises:
“Cut a handful of peach twigs which are filled with sap at this season of the year. Clip the ends and bruise them and beat the cake batter with them. This will impart a delicate peach flavor to the cake.” American Heritage Cookbook (1964)
1784 E. Kidner opened the first cooking school in Great Britain.
1785 The Philadelphia Society for the Promotion of Agriculture was founded.
1803 Ohio becomes 17th state. The Buckeye State.
(Ohio Food Trivia & Facts)
1847 Benjamin Delessert died (born Feb 14, 1773). French industrialist who developed the first successful process to extract sugar from sugar beets.
1867 Nebraska becomes the 37th state. The Cornhusker State. (Nebraska Food Trivia & Facts)
1927 Harry Belafonte, singer, actor, was born. His biggest hit was "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song" in 1956
1941 'Duffy’s Tavern' debuted on CBS radio.
1962 The first K-Mart store opened in Garden City, Missouri.
1970 U.S. commercial whale hunting ended.
1987 Starbucks opens its first Canadian outlet in Vancouver.
1989 Jack Dietz Set a new record for watermelon seed spitting, 66 feet 11 inches. There are contests in many locations throughout the U.S. in the spring and summer.
(Watermelon Trivia & Facts)
1989 A 75 year-long ban on beer was lifted this day in Iceland.
1990 The British Royal Navy began issuing rum rations to sailors as early as 1655. The Royal New Zealand Navy was the last navy in the world to end daily rum rations for sailors in 1990. (Rum Trivia)
2002 McDonald's announced in a press release that it has agreed to pay 10 million dollars to Hindu and vegetarian groups to settle lawsuits over its use of beef flavoring in its French Fries.
2020 Many Food Festivals and celebrations have been cancelled or postponed due to Coronavirus concerns.