JUNE 3 - Today in Food History
• National Donut Day 2016 [The Salvation Army]
• National Chocolate Macaroon Day
• National Egg Day (Egg Trivia and Facts)
• St. Morand's Day, patron of vintners, wine growers, wine makers. He founded the monastery of Saint Christopher at Altkirch. He is said to have lived the whole of each Lent on a single bunch of grapes.
• UK: English Wine Week (May 28-June 5, 2016)
[English Wine Producers]
• UK: National BBQ Week - May 30-June 5, 2016
(BBQ Articles & Recipes -- Barbecue Trivia & Facts)
On this day in:
1539 Hernando De Soto claimed Florida for Spain.
(Florida Food Trivia & Facts -- Florida Food Festivals)
1805 Adolphe Duglere was born. A pupil of Careme, head chef of the Rothschild family, and head chef of the famous 19th century Paris restaurant, the Cafe Anglais.
1841 Nicolas Francois Appert died. Inventor of the canning process, preserving food by sealing it in sterilized containers. He published the results of 14 years of research in 1810 & received 12,000 franc award from French government.
(History of Canned Foods -- Canned Food Trivia)
1944 Michael Clark of the music group 'Flying Burrito Brothers' was born.
1963 Canada declares a 12 Mile exclusive fisheries zone off the Canadian coast, effective May, 1964
1964 T.S. Eliot wrote to Groucho Marx: "The picture of you in the newspaper saying that, amongst other reasons, you have come to London to see me has greatly enhanced my credit line in the neighborhood, and particularly with the greengrocer across the street."
1970 Emmett J. Culligan died. He was the founder of the water treatment company that carries his name. (“Hey, Culligan man!”).
1970 Ray Davies of the Kinks traveled round trip from New York to London to change 2 words in the song 'Lola,' (Coca-Cola to Cherry Cola) because of a BBC ban on commercial references.
1997 The USDA announced it will ban manufacturers from using most slaughtered animal parts in feed for farm animals to protect the U.S. food supply from mad cow disease. The ban becomes effective in August.