JANUARY 2 - Today in Food History
• National Cream Puff Day (Cream Puff Recipe)
• National Buffet Day
• Feast Day of St. Marcarius, patron saint of confectioners, cooks, pastry chefs. Before he became a hermit, Marcarius was a sugarplum merchant.
• St. Adelard's Day, patron of gardeners.
• Switzerland: Berchtoldstag (Berchtold's Day). This day honors the founding of Bern in 1191, by Duke Berchtold V. Legend claims that he went hunting and said he would name the city for the first animal he killed, which was a bear (‘bern’).
• Diet Resolution Week (Jan 1-7, 2017)
On this day in:
1788 Georgia 'The Peach State' is the 4th state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. (Georgia Food Trivia)
1886 E. A. McIlhenny, the son of Tabasco sauce inventor Edmund McIlhenny, shot a 19 foot 2 inch alligator in Louisiana. It is said to be the largest ever recorded.
1900 U.S. Secretary of State John Hay announced the Open Door Policy to encourage trade with China.
1906 'Gulden's Mustard' trademark was registered.
1923 Secretary of the U.S. Dept of Interior, Albert Fall, resigns due to public outrage over the Teapot Dome scandal.
1923 Harry G. Tatosian of Bridgeport, Connecticut received U.S. patent No. 1,440,851 for an Ice-Cream-Cone-Rolling Machine (possibly the first).
1929 The U.S. and Canada sigh a treaty to preserve Niagara Falls.
1974 President Richard Nixon signed the Emergency Highway Energy Consevation Act into law, requiring states to limit speed limits to 55mph. (Repealed on Nov 28, 1995)
1975 Working with Canadian zoologist Freud Urquhart, amateur naturalist Kenneth C. Brugger discovered the winter home of the Monarch butterfly in the mountains of central Mexico. The refuge he found was only about 200 square meters and contained about 20 million butterflies.
1983 'Maneater' by Daryl Hall & John Oates is #1 on the charts.
1990 Campbell's Soup introduces Cream of Broccoli soup. It becomes their most successful new soup in 55 years. (Campbell’s Soup Trivia)
2005 H. David Dalquist, the creator of the aluminum Bundt Pan in 1950, died in Minnesota at the age of 86 (born May 25, 1918).
2005 Canada confirms a second case of mad cow disease, just days after the US planned to reopen its border to Canadian beef.
2008 Oil prices hit $100 for the first time.
2013 Mauritania, in western North Africa, has banned the use of plastic bags to protect the environment and the lives of land and sea animals.