FEBRUARY 24 - Today in Food History
• National Tortilla Chip Day (Tortilla Trivia & Facts)
• World Bartender Day: Support your local bartender!
• Iceland: Bun Day: Feb 24, 2020 (Mon before Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or Mar)Children invade homes in the morning with colorful sticks and recieve gifts of whipped cream buns.
• [National Eating Disorders Awareness Week] (Feb 24-March 1, 2020)
• National FFA Week: Feb 22-29, 2020 [Future Farmers of America] Week of Washington's Birthday, from Saturday to Saturday encompassing February 22
• Pancake Week (Feb 24-March 1, 2020 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• [National Invasive Species Awareness Week] (Feb 24-28, 2020) Raise awareness and identify solutions to invasive species issues at local, state, tribal, regional, international and national levels.
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 24-March 8, 2020) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• UK: [Real Bread Week] (Feb 22-March 1, 2020) A celebration of additive-free loaves and the people who make them.
On this day in:
1809 Asa Fitch was born (died April 8, 1879). American entomologist who studied the relationship of insects to crops and whether they were beneficial or damaging. Knicknamed the 'Bug Catcher of Salem.'
1857 The Los Angeles Vineyard Society was established at what would become Anaheim, California.
1863 The Arizona Territory was created.
(Arizona Food Trivia and facts)
1874 John Bachman died. A Naturalist who wrote some of the text for John James Audubon's albums of birds and mammals of North America. He also published his own works on botany, agriculture and southern animals
1896 Caesar Cardini was born in Italy (died Nov 3, 1956 in Los Angeles). Chef and restaurateur in the U.S. and Mexico, he is credited with creating the Caesar Salad at his restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico in the 1920s.
(Caesar Salad History -- Caesar Salad Recipe)
1924 Abe Vigoda was born. American character actor. One of his well known TV characters was 'Fish' on 'Barney Miller'.
1938 DuPont begins production of nylon toothbrush bristles. A patent had been granted in 1937. The nylon bristles replaced hog bristles. No more brushing your teeth with hog hair!
1955 Steven Jobs was born, co-founder of Apple computer company. According to the company, he "grew up in the apricot orchards which later became known as Silicon Valley."
1989 A fossil egg was found in Utah that was 150 million years old.
2003 Bernard Loiseau died (born Jan 13, 1951). French chef, owner of La Cote d'Or in Saulier, a Michelin three-star recipient. He committed suicide, supposedly in response to reports that his restaurant might lose one of its 3 stars.