APRIL 27 - Today in Food History
• National Prime Rib Day (Beef Roast Recipes)
• St. Zita feast day, patron of servants.
• Stewardship Week - April 26-May 3, 2020 (last Sun in April to 1st Sun in May) [Nat’l Assoc. of Conservation Districts] To encourage conserving natural resources for our future. 2020 Theme is 'Where would we BEE without Pollinators?'
• UK: [Coffee Week] (April 27 - May 3, 2020 - Can be in April or May). COFFEE WEEK HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO AUTUMN - NEW DATES TO FOLLOW. The nation’s largest celebration of coffee, all for a good cause.
• UK: National Gardening Week: April 27-May 3, 2020 [Royal Horticultural Society] Encouraging gardners to share their love of gardening.
On this day in:
1773 The British Parliament passed the 'Tea Act,' one of the events that led to the American Revolution.
(Tea Trivia & Facts -- A Short History of Tea)
1865 Cornell University was chartered. Cornell is an agricultural land grant university endowed by Ezra Cornell, one of the founders of Western Union Telegraph Co. Today, Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, offers many programs, including Agricultural and Life Sciences, Hotel Administration, and Nutritional Sciences.
1871 The American Museum of Natural History in New York City was opened to the public.
1902 Julius Sterling Morton died. He was the founder of Arbor Day, first observed in Nebraska on April 10, 1872. Over one million trees were planted.
1965 R. C. Duncan was granted a patent for 'Pampers' disposable diapers.
1968 Australia's first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened in Sydney's western suburbs. (Australia Trivia)
(Australia: Eucalyptus and Vegemite)
1995 On 'Seinfeld' Kramer began sculpting with pasta.
(Pasta Trivia and Facts)
2002 Ruth Handler died (born Nov 4, 1916). Creator of the Barbie Doll (1959) and co-founder of the Mattel company in 1942.
2020 Coronavirus: France, Italy and Spain prepare to slowly loosen coronavirus restrictions; Loss of taste added as possible symptom of coronavirus; Southern California heat wave has more than 40,000 people visit reopened Orange County beaches; As state economies begin to slowly reopen, no one knows what happens next.