CRANBERRY CUMBERLAND SAUCE
Quick Fix Vegan
by Robin Robertson
Cranberries provide a new twist on the classic Cumberland sauce, traditionally made with currant jelly. If you're a fan of sweet-savory sauces, try this with sauteed seitan or tempeh.
Makes about 1½ cups
• 1/4 cup port wine
• 1/4 cup minced shallots
• 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce, canned or homemade
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the port and shallots in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the cranberry sauce and cook, stirring, over low heat to combine, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest, ginger, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and simmer until the flavors are well blended, 5 minutes.
If not using right away, transfer to a container and set aside until cool, then cover and refrigerate until needed. Properly stored, the sauce will keep for up to 3 days.