Chipotle Pork Stew With Dried Plums
Prep Time: 15 minutes
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 2 pounds well-trimmed boneless pork shoulder cut into 1½-inch cubes
• 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 cup orange juice
• 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles (in adobo sauce), finely chopped, adobo sauce reserved
• 2 medium potatoes cut into 1½-inch pieces
• 1 cup baby carrots
• 1 cup (about 6 ounces) halved pitted dried plums
In large Dutch oven or saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
Add pork; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
Add onion, garlic, salt, cumin, cinnamon and thyme; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add tomatoes, orange juice, chipotle chiles and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved adobo sauce; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low.
Cover; simmer 30 minutes.
Add potatoes and carrots; simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in dried plums; simmer 10 additional minutes or until pork and vegetables are tender.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
% of Calories from Fat 51%
California Dried Plum Board - www.californiadriedplums.org