CHEESY SPINACH LASAGNE SOUP
The Spice Kitchen
by Katie Luber & Sara Engram
This hearty soup is a real crowd-pleaser Best of all, it's much easier to make than traditional lasagne—and just as easy to enjoy.
Makes 8 cups
· 1 pound ground Italian sausage
· 1 large onion (any variety), chopped
· 6 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 teaspoons basil
· 2 teaspoons oregano
· 1 teaspoon anise seed
· 4 cups chicken broth
· 1 (14˝-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
· 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
· 1 cup mini farfalle pasta
· 2 packed cups fresh spinach, chopped
· 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
· 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
Brown the sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crumbly.
Remove the sausage from the pan and drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onion to the pan and saute over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
Return the sausage to the pan, stir in the garlic, basil, oregano, and anise seed, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the pasta and cook, according to the manufacturer's recommended cook time, until the pasta is al dente.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the spinach and mozzarella.
Serve the soup immediately topped with Parmesan cheese.