BEEF BOUILLON (1896)
The Boston Cooking School Cookbook
By Fannie Merritt Farmer (1896)
• 5 lbs. lean beef from middle of round.
• 2 lbs. marrow-bone.
• 3 quarts cold water.
• 1 teaspoon peppercorns.
• 1 tablespoon salt.
• 1/3 cup Carrot, cut in dice
• 1/3 cup Turnip, cut in dice
• 1/3 cup Onion, cut in dice
• 1/3 cup Celery, cut in dice
Wipe, and cut meat in inch cubes. Put two-thirds of meat in soup kettle, and soak in water thirty minutes. Brown remainder in hot frying-pan with marrow from marrow-bone. Put browned meat and bone in kettle.
Heat to boiling point; skim thoroughly, and cook at temperature below boiling point five hours. Add seasonings and vegetables, cook one hour, strain and cool. Remove fat and clear. Serve in bouillon cups.