SENATOR MITCH MCCONNELL'S BURGOO
• 1 4-to-5 pound hen
• 1 pound beef stew meat
• 1 pound veal stew meat
• 4 large beef or knuckle bones
• 4 quarts water
• 6 onions, finely chopped
• 2 green peppers, finely chopped
• 1 medium turnip, finely diced
• 8-10 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• celery, carrot, onion, parsley
• 2 cups shelled fresh butter beans
• 1-10 oz. can tomato puree
• 2 cups thinly sliced celery
• 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
• 1 red pepper pod
• 2 cups fresh okra, sliced
• 2 cups fresh corn (6 ears)
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1 tablespoon each lemon juice, Worcestershire, sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
• 1/2 unpeeled lemon, seeded
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
The ingredients and time needed to complete this recipe can seem overwhelming, but it can be quite simple if you allow yourself two days to complete. This recipe makes one gallon.
Combine the first column ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for four hours. Let cool and strain. Finely cut chicken and meat, remove all skin, bone and gristle. (This is a perfect time to use kitchen scissors.) Return meat to stock and refrigerate.
The following day skim off half of the congealed fat from the top of the stock. Return pot to stove, add the ingredients in the second column. Simmer for one hour until thick.
Cut corn twice and scrape cobs for milk. Add this along with the remaining third column ingredients to the pot. Cook, uncovered, at 300 for two hours until the consistency is a thick stew.
Serve in mugs and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
Senator Mitch McConnell's Kentucky Recipes (2006)