BLACK EYED PEA SOUP WITH BEEF
"This soup is a must when family is home at New Year's. If my son can't be here, I freeze it for him. It's also always on the stove during deer season to provide hungry hunters with a filling, warm lunch. Serve it with corn bread, salad, and dessert."
Joyce Gates, Clovis; New Mexico
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 cup finely chopped onions
• 1 pound Polish sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
• Two 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas with jalapenos
• One 14-ounce can beef broth
• One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
• One 10-ounce can mild diced tomatoes & green chiles
• One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
• 1 to 2 medium jalapeno chiles, seeded, chopped, optional
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onions and cook until the beef is browned, stirring frequently.
2. Add the sausage, black-eyed peas, broth, diced tomatoes, tomatoes with chiles, green chiles, jalapenos, if using, and salt; mix well.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover tightly. Simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Reheat before serving.
Tips: Browning the sausage before adding it to the pot adds flavor.