BEEF BARLEY SOUP, HEARTY
Fix-it And Enjoy-it Cookbook
by Phyllis Pellman Good
Makes 4-5 servings
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
• 1 lb. beef tips
• 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• 32-oz. can (3 1/2 cups) beef broth
• 2 medium-sized carrots, sliced
• 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
• dash of pepper
• 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
1. Cook beef in nonstick saucepan until browned and juices evaporate, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add mushrooms and garlic powder and cook until mushrooms begin to wilt, about 5 minutes.
3. Add broth, carrots, thyme, and pepper.
4. Heat to boiling. Stir in barley. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or until barley is tender.
Karen Gingrich, New Holland, PA