• 8 slices crisply-cooked bacon
• 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
• 1 14 1/2-oz. can chicken broth
• 1 15-oz. can cooked white beans (cannellini or navy)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 cup shredded leaf lettuce
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Coarsely crumble bacon & set aside.
In 2-quart saucepan, stir together tomatoes, broth, beans and seasoning.
Bring to a simmer; stir in vinegar.
In small bowl, toss together lettuce & basil.
Ladle soup into large soup plates or bowls; garnish each serving with crumbled bacon and lettuce & basil.
No-one said that the tomato in a BLT had to be sliced. This fresh soup is quickly made and goes well with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Calories 240 calories; Protein 12 grams; Fat 9 grams; Sodium 1370 milligrams; Cholesterol 15 milligrams; Carbohydrates 29 grams
Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board.
For more information about The Other White Meat, visit TheOtherWhiteMeat.com