CHEDDAR CHEESE STRAWS
Makes about 3 dozen
• 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
• Pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold Cabot Salted Butter
• 1-1/2 cups (lightly packed) grated Cabot Sharp or Extra Sharp Cheddar (about 5 ounces), divided
1. Place several ice cubes in small bowl or cup and add about 1/2 cup cold water; set aside to chill. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Generously butter two baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Put flour and red pepper in bowl of food processor. Cut butter into pieces and add to flour; pulse mixture about 10 times until butter is in smaller pieces. (Alternatively, whisk flour and red pepper together in bowl, then work in butter with fingertips.)
3. Add 1 cup of cheese and pulse several times to blend. A tablespoon at a time, pulse in just enough ice water to make mixture that appears crumbly but holds together when firmly squeezed (about 4 tablespoons)(Alternatively, use fork to stir in cheese, then stir in ice water, a tablespoon at a time, to mixture in bowl.) Turn mixture onto work surface and press into rough square.
4. Dusting dough and work surface lightly with flour as needed, roll dough out into approximate 12-inch square. Sprinkle one half of square with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Fold bare half of dough over cheese. Neaten edge of rectangle and lengthen into 20-inch-long strip with rolling pin.
5. With knife or pastry wheel, cut strip crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide straws. Place about 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets.
6. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown, watching carefully toward end of baking time. If straws have adhered to baking sheets, loosen with spatula and let cool.
Calories 176 , Total Fat 13g , Saturated Fat 8g , Sodium 166mg , Carbohydrates 11mg , Dietary Fiber <1g , Protein 5g , Calcium 106mg
Recipe & photo courtesy of Cabot Creamery Cooperative