FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free Magazines | Food_Festivals_&_Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
FOOD VIDEO SECTION
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
Here's a French classic—the beloved chicken-and-vegetable-stew that simmers in red wine. It uses small whole onions, also called pearl onions, which you can buy fresh or frozen. The frozen ones are super easy, because there are no skins to peel.
Prep: 10 min - Cook: 1 hr 10 min
(see bottom of page for slow cooker directions)
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3- to 3½-lb cut-up whole chicken
• 8 slices bacon
• 3/4 cup frozen small whole onions (from 1-lb bag)
• 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (8 oz)
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1 cup dry red wine or nonalcoholic red wine
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• Bouquet garni*
1. In shallow dish, mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture.
2. In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside. Cook chicken in bacon fat over medium heat about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
3. Move chicken to one side of skillet; add onions and mushrooms to other side. Cook over medium-high heat about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender. Drain fat from skillet.
4. Crumble bacon. Stir bacon and remaining ingredients into vegetables. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 35 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Remove bouquet garni; skim off excess fat.
*Bouquet garni - Tie 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, 2 large sprigs fresh parsley and 1 dried bay leaf in cheesecloth bag or place in tea ball. This classic trio of herbs hails from France and is used frequently in many types of recipes.
1 SERVING: Cal 380 (Cal From Fat 160), Fat 18g (Sat Fat 5g), Chol 90mg, Sodium 980mg, Carbs 23g (Fiber 3g), Pro 34g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit A 26%, Vit C 2%, Calc 2%, Iron 14%
EXCHANGES: 1 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 4 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
CARB. CHOICES: 1½
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS
Remove skin from chicken. Decrease flour to 1/3 cup. Cut carrots into 1/2-inch slices. Cook, drain and crumble bacon; refrigerate. Brown chicken as directed. In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, place carrots. Top with chicken. Mix remaining ingredients except mushrooms and bacon; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours. Stir in mushrooms and bacon. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 30 minutes. Remove bouquet garni; skim off excess fat.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.