TIPS TO KEEP COOKING SIMPLE
Quick Fix Vegan
by Robin Robertson
• Keep your kitchen well organized: This makes it easier, when you're ready to cook, to assemble your mise en place, which means gathering the ingredients and equipment you'll need. This includes measuring out the ingredients in advance.
• Good prep can also help avoid kitchen mishaps, such as missing ingredients, wrong pans, or burning up dinner while you search for a spice or a spatula.
• Be more intuitive or instinctive when you cook: By this I mean don't be afraid to substitute or change ingredients when it seems appropriate. In most cases, the recipe will turn out just as well and maybe better, since it will now have your own personal touch.
• Be flexible: It sometimes happens that you run out of an ingredient at the last minute. In those cases, rather than dropping everything to rush out to the store, try to determine if you have something in the house that —— can be substituted.
• To avoid running out of the ingredients you use most frequently, keep an ongoing grocery list in the kitchen so you can write down items the minute you run out or see that you're getting low.
• Keep a well-stocked pantry: The surest way to make certain you can get dinner on the table is to keep your pantry well supplied with the staples you most frequently use.