STUFFED VEAL CHOPS
Good Housekeeping Grill It!
Editors of Good Housekeeping
Thick, juicy veal chops, stuffed with a mixture of creamy cheese, roasted peppers, and basil, sit atop a bed of spicy greens. The combination of warm chop and cool greens is a real winner. Use a small paring knife to cut the pocket so that it is deep but not wide.
Prep: 15 Minutes
Grill: 10 To 12 Minutes
Makes 4 Servings
• 1/4 cup roasted red peppers (one-third 7-ounce jar), drained and chopped
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 4 veal rib chops, each 1 inch thick (about 10 ounces each)
• 2 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced
• 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 4 ounces arugula, watercress, or baby spinach, tough stems removed
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
2. In small bowl, mix roasted red peppers and 2 tablespoons chopped basil.
3. Prepare veal chops: Holding knife parallel to surface, cut a horizontal pocket in each chop. Tuck cheese slices into veal pockets; spread red-pepper mixture over cheese. Sprinkle veal chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
4. Place chops on hot grill rack over medium-high heat and grill, turning chops once, until chops are lightly browned on both sides and just lose their pink color throughout, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Prepare arugula salad: In medium bowl, with wire whisk, mix oil, vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon basil, mustard, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; add arugula, tossing to coat.
6. To serve, spoon arugula mixture onto platter; arrange chops on top.
Each serving: About 440 calories, 40g protein, 2g carbohydrate, 29g total fat (11g saturated), 181mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium.