SPICE ROASTED CHICKEN
The Sonoma Diet by Connie Guttersen
Prep: 25 Minutes
Roast: 1¼ Hours
Stand: 10 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
• 12 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons minced)
• 4 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted and ground,* or 4 teaspoons fennel seeds, finely crushed
• 4 teaspoons paprika
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground,* or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 3½-pound whole roasting chicken
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 small lemon or orange, quartered
1. In a small bowl combine garlic, fennel seeds, paprika, and cumin seeds. Stir in oil. Sprinkle chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Rub the inside cavity of the chicken with one-third of the garlic mixture.
2. Starting at the opening by the leg and thigh, carefully slide your fingertips between the breast meat and the skin to loosen the skin from the meat. Rub the remaining garlic mixture between the breast meat and skin and all over the outside of the chicken. Place the lemon or orange quarters in the cavity of the chicken. With 100% cotton string, tie the ends of the legs together. Twist wing tips under back. If desired, cover and chill the chicken for up to 24 hours.
3. Transfer the chicken, breast side down, to a rack set in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle.
4. Roast in a 450° oven for 15 minutes; turn chicken breast side up and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Continue roasting for 60 to 70 minutes more or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180°F). Remove chicken from oven. Cover chicken with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. While carving, carefully remove and discard the skin of the chicken.
*Note: To toast seeds, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add seeds. Cook about 2 minutes or until toasted and aromatic, shaking skillet frequently. Place toasted seeds in a spice grinder and process until finely ground.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 276 cal., 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 131 mg chol., 368 mg sodium, 4 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 42 g pro.