SPLIT ROASTED HERBED CHICKEN
Back to the Family by Art Smith
Roasted chicken is one dish people never get tired of eating. I love serving it at a nice, casual supper with friends.
Makes 8 Servings
• 2 whole chickens (skin on, spine removed)
• 4 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces and softened
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
• 1 teaspoon dried sage
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lay the chickens flat on an oiled half sheet pan or baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, combine the garlic, butter, rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, and red pepper flakes. Stir to mix well.
4. Gently lift the skin and rub with the compounded herb butter underneath the skin. Be careful not to tear the skin. Rub any excess butter on the other sides of the chicken.
5. Add salt and pepper and place the chickens in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and juices run clear.
NOTE: For a crispy skin, hold chicken under the broiler quickly, and then serve.