Mexican Style Beer Can Chicken
Add a Mexican twist to beer can chicken by seasoning with a spicy chipotle and ground red pepper rub, then grill over a can of authentic Mexican beer.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
· 1/4 cup McCormick Grill Mates Chipotle & Roasted Garlic Seasoning
· 1 teaspoon McCormick Red Pepper, Ground
· 1 whole chicken, about 5 pounds
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 can (12 ounces) Mexican beer
1. Prepare grill for indirect medium heat (350°F to 375°F). Preheat grill by turning all burners to medium. Turn off burner(s) on one side of grill.
2. Mix Seasoning and red pepper in small bowl.
Rub chicken with oil.
Rub cavity with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mixture.
Sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture evenly over surface of chicken.
3. Remove about 1/4 cup beer and poke 2 holes in top of can.
Hold chicken upright (legs pointing down) and insert opened beer can into cavity.
Stand chicken in upright position on unlit side of grill.
Position legs to best support chicken (similar to a tripod). Close lid.
4. Grill chicken 1½ hours or until cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F in the thigh).
Remove chicken from can before serving.
Beer Can Chicken Tips:
• For added stability, use a beer can chicken stand to hold the beer can and the chicken upright. It can be purchased in a kitchenware store. If using a stand, the ends of the chicken legs may be tied together with kitchen string.
• To prevent the chicken wing tips from burning on the grill, tuck them in or wrap them with foil.
• The beer will be hot after grilling. Lift the chicken carefully from the beer can. To keep the chicken warm, let the chicken stand on the beer can for up to 15 minutes.
NUTRITION (amount per serving)
Recipe courtesy of McCormick & Company (www.mccormick.com )