The Sonoma Diet by Connie Guttersen
Prep: 25 Minutes
Chill: 1 To 24 Hours
Roast: 65 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
• 12 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons minced)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
• 1 3½-pound whole roasting chicken
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl combine garlic and herbs. Sprinkle chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Rub the inside cavity of the chicken with one-third of the herb mixture.
2. Starting at the opening by the leg and thigh, carefully slide your fingertips between the breast meat and the skin to loosen the skin from the meat. Rub the remaining herb mixture between the breast meat and skin and all over the outside of the chicken. With 100% cotton string, tie the ends of the legs together. Twist wing tips under back. Cover and chill the chicken for 1 to 24 hours.
3. Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan. Brush oil on the outside of the chicken. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle.
4. Roast in a 450° oven for 15 minutes; turn chicken breast side up and reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Continue roasting for 50 to 60 minutes more or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180°F). Remove chicken from oven. Cover chicken with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. While carving, carefully remove and discard the skin of the chicken.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 261 cal., 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 131 mg chol., 364 mg sodium, 2 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 41 g pro.