GRILLED WHOLE CHICKEN WITH GARLIC AND HERBS
Recipe from Weight Watchers All Time Favorites
Hands-On Prep: 15 Min
Cook: 2 Hr 10 Min
• 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage + 3 sage leaves
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 (3½ - 4-pound) chicken, giblets discarded
• 1 medium onion, halved
• 1 lemon, cut into quarters
1. Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; preheat the grill to medium or prepare a medium fire using the indirect method (see ‘How We Did It’ below).
2. Combine the garlic, oil, lemon zest, chopped sage, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. With your fingers, loosen the skin on the chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub the garlic mixture into the meat under the skin. Place the onion, lemon, and sage leaves inside the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
3. Place the chicken, breast side up, on the cooler part of the grill rack; cover the grill. Grill the chicken, without turning, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh registers 180°F, about 2 hours 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let stand about 10 minutes before carving. Remove the skin before eating.
How We Did It:
To set up a grill for indirect cooking, preheat only one side of a gas grill or mound the charcoal on one side of a charcoal grill.With indirect grilling, larger items, such as a whole chicken, can be grilled for a long time without getting charred while acquiring a delicious smoky taste.
Per Serving (1/6 of chicken): 198 Cal, 9 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 81 mg Chol, 473 mg Sod, 1 g Carb, 0 g Fib, 27 g Prot, 20 mg Calc.
Points value: 5.