FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools_&_Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free Magazines | Food_Festivals_&_Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
FOOD VIDEO SECTION
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
The Taste of Home Cookbook
New Revised 2nd Edition
This roasted chicken is easy enough to prepare every day, yet special enough for company. The corn bread and fresh savory enhance the flavor of the homemade stuffing.
Jodi Cigel, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Prep: 20 min.
Bake: 2¼ hours + standing
Yield: 6 servings.
• 1 package (7½ ounces) corn bread/muffin mix, prepared as directed and crumbled or 3 cups corn bread crumbs
• 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
• 1/2 cup each chopped celery, fresh mushrooms and fully cooked ham
• 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
• 1/4 cup chopped green onions
• 4 teaspoons chopped fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 to 1½ cups chicken broth
• 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
1) In a large bowl, combine corn bread crumbs and croutons. In a large skillet, saute the celery, mushrooms, ham, red pepper, onions, savory, salt and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add to crumb mixture. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
2) Stuff chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan.
3) Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2¼ to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving.
Stuffing may be baked separately in a 2-qt. covered baking dish at 350° for 45 minutes.
1 serving equals 817 calories, 44 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 1,179 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 63 g protein.
• Herb-Rubbed Stuffed Chicken: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon each onion salt and vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon each dried thyme and dried rosemary, crushed, and 1/4 teaspoon each grated orange peel and pepper. Rub over chicken before baking.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.