ROAST DUCKLING WITH CHERRY SAUCE
Yield: Makes 4 servings.
• 1 duckling, 4 to 5 pounds, thawed
• 2/3 cup duck or chicken broth
• 1 17-ounce can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained (reserve syrup)
• 3 tablespoons kirsch
• 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
• 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
• 3 cups hot cooked rice
• 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Prick skin of duckling with fork; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breast side up on rack in roasting pan. Roast at 350 degrees 2 hours or until tender.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine broth, 1/3 cup syrup, kirsch, jelly, butter, salt, orange peel and cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook, stirring, until clear and thickened. Add cherries and pineapple; heat through.
Combine rice and almonds. Serve duck and sauce over beds of fluffy rice mixture.
Total Fat 23g
Total Carbohydrate 74g
Dietary Fiber 2g
USA Rice Federation (www.usarice.com)