• 5 dried red chilies, crushed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
• 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
• 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• Salt to taste
• 1/4 cup white vinegar
• 2 pounds duck breasts, skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 large onion, minced
• 1/4 cup dry red wine
In a blender, add the chilies, peppercorns, cumin, mustard, ginger, garlic, sugar, salt and vinegar and blend it into a paste.
Add the spice paste to the bowl with the duck and mix to coat the meat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
Heat the oil in a wide heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the duck pieces (reserve any excess marinade) and saute until the duck is browned on all sides. Add the reserved marinade and the wine.
Bring to a boil, then cover and lower the heat, simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the duck is tender and cooked.