WHOLE ROAST DUCKLING
-Preheat oven to 350° F.
1) Remove giblets and trim excess fat. Rinse and dry.
2) Gently prick the skin. Season as desired, inside and out.
---If you prefer, truss legs loosely.
3) Spray roasting pan with cooking spray. Place the bird breast-side up on a rack in pan.
4) Roast duckling for 25 to 30 minutes per pound. Baste with pan juices every 20 to 30 minutes. The duckling is done when the legs move freely, the juices run clear, and the internal temperature at the leg joint reaches 180° F.
5) Remove duckling from oven and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
HOW TO SERVE WHOLE ROASTED DUCKLING
-Lay the White Pekin duckling breast-side down. Insert the tip of a sharp knife into the neck cavity and cut through the wishbone.
-Then turn the duckling breast-side up, and cut along the breast bone, following the contour of the rib cage. Cut apart where the wing connects with the rib cage. Continue cutting along the side of the toward the thigh joint.
-Pull gently until the thigh bone comes out of the socket. Continue cutting along the side until the meat has been removed from the carcass.
-Remove the first and second wing portions from the breast.
-Repeat on the other side.
-Serve the duckling in halves or quarters.
Recipe courtesy of The Duckling Council - www.duckling.org/