LUSCIOUS LEMON BARS
If your sweetheart likes lemon, these are very nice lemon bar cookies. This is a comfortable old recipe. We’ve had it around for a long time. We found its predecessor in an old Farm Journal Cookbook. This version is built around a single lemon. We think it's just lemony enough. Give this easy recipe a try.
Recipe courtesy of the Prepared Pantry - Dedicated to helping you bake with time-saving baking mixes, quality tools, hard-to-find ingredients, and some of the best baking information on the web. CLICK HERE for FREE Book How To Bake
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup butter
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 4 large eggs
• zest from one large lemon, about one tablespoon
• juice from one large lemon, 1/3 cup juice
• powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix the two cups flour and 3/4 cups powdered sugar together in a medium bowl. With a pastry knife, cut in the butter until granular. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 8 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2. In your medium bowl, mix the granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and baking powder. Add the eggs, zest, and lemon juice. Mix with a spatula until smooth.
3. Pour the lemon filling over the crust. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top starts to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool. Use a mini-strainer or sifter to dust the top with powdered sugar. Cut into squares.
Baker’s tip: Once chilled, buttery crusts can stick to the pan making it hard to remove the bars intact. Heat up a wet cloth in the microwave and place the pan on the hot cloth. The heat will soften the butter on the bottom and make removal much easier.