Today in Food History
• First Day of Autumn (Autumnal Equinox: Sept 22, 2017)
• National White Chocolate Day
(White Chocolate Trivia & Facts)
• National Ice Cream Cone Day (see 1903 below)
(Ice Cream Trivia & Facts)
• Hobbit Day, celebrate with 7 meals today
(Today is Bilbo and Frodo Baggins’ birthday)
• St. Maurice's Day, patron of knife grinders.
• St. Phocas' Day, patron of gardeners.
• National Farm Safety & Health Week (Sept 17-23, 2017) [Nat'l Education Ctr for Agricultural Safety]
• Canada: National Organic Week (Sept 16-24, 2017) The largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across Canada.
• UK: National Cupcake Week (Sept 18-24, 2017)
(Cupcake Trivia -- Cupcake Recipes)
On this day in:
1777 John Bartram died. An American botanist, and considered the 'father of American botany,' he established a botanical garden in Philadelphia in 1728.
1877 Victor Shelford was born. An American zoologist and ecologist, he was one of the first to treat ecology as a separate science. He was active and influential in several ecological organizations, including the Nature Conservancy formed in 1951.
1903 Italo Marchiony applied for a patent for an ice cream cup mold. Initially, he would fold warm waffles into a cup shape. He then developed the 2-piece mold that would make 10 cups at a time. (U.S. patent No. 746,971 was granted on Dec 15, 1903). (Ice Cream Trivia)
1904 Ellen Church was born (died Aug 22, 1965). The first airline stewardess. (See May 15, 1930)
1907 Wilbur Olin Atwater died (born May 3, 1844). American agricultural chemist who layed the groundwork for the science of nutrition. In 1875 he established the first agricultural experimental station in the U.S. at Wesleyan College in Connecticut.
1909 Allan 'Rocky' Lane was born (died Oct 27-1973). Actor in numerous films and TV shows, he was also the voice of the talking horse in the TV show 'Mister Ed' (1961-1966).
1955 The first British commercial TV station began broadcasting. The first advertisement was for Gibbs SR toothpaste.
1967 The Queen Mary began her last Atlantic crossing.
1985 The first ‘Farm Aid’ Concert was held at Champaign, Illinois.
2002 William Rosenberg founder of Dunkin' Donuts died (born June 10, 1916). [The Dunkin' Donuts website lists his date of death as Sept 22, but numerous newspapers and others list Sept 20].
2003 Actor Gordon Jump died. The 'Maytag Repairman' in commercials, also Arthur Carlson on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’