Today in Food History
• National Frappe Day
• National Country Inn, Bed & Breakfast Day (2018 - 1st Sun in Oct)
• Germany: Erntedankfest 2018 (A harvest thanksgiving festival, or potato harvest festival.
• Health Care Food Service Workers Week (October 7-13, 2018) [Assoc. for Healthcare Foodservice]
• UK: [National Seafood Week] (October 5-12, 2018)
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 22 - Oct 7, 2018)
• UK: [Seed Gathering Season] (Sept 23-Oct 23, 2018)
On this day in:
1790 Obed Hussey was born (died Aug 4, 1860). Invented a horse drawn reaper. (see also Dec 31, 1833)
1806 Ralph Wedgwood of England received the first patent for carbon paper.
1868 Inauguration Day for Cornell University, with an entering class of 412 students. Cornell is an agricultural land grant university endowed by Ezra Cornell, one of the founders of Western Union Telegraph Co. (see also April 27, 1865)
1894 Oliver Wendell Holmes died. American physician, poet and humorist. Author of 'The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table,' 'The Professor of the Breakfast Table,' 'The Poet of the Breakfast Table,' and 'Over the Teacups.'
1916 The Georgia Tech Engineers football team beat the Cumberland College Bulldogs 222 to 0.
1940 The U.S. Post Office issued a 1-cent stamp commemorating Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin, a machine for separating the seeds from cotton fibres.
1950 Willis Haviland Carrier died (born Nov 26, 1876). He invented the first practical air conditioner.
1956 Clarence Birdseye died in New York (born Dec 9, 1886). In 1924, Clarence Birdseye, with the financial backing of Wetmore Hodges, William Gamage, Basset Jones, I.L. Rice and J.J. Barry, organized the General Seafood Corporation. The birth of the frozen food industry. (Clarence Birdseye Bio -- Frozen Food Trivia)
1957 'Honeycomb' by Jimmie Rodgers was number one on the music charts.
1962 'Sherry' by the 4 Seasons is #1 on the charts.
1982 'Cats' opened on Broadway.