MAY 28 - Today in Food History
• Memorial Day (last Mon - May 28, 2018) Pay tribute to the U.S. men and women who died during military service
• National Hamburger Day (Hamburger Trivia & Facts
100 Hamburger Variations)
• National Brisket Day (Brisket Recipes)
• World Hunger Day
• UK: English Wine Week (May 26-June 3, 2018)
[English Wine Producers]
• UK: National BBQ Week (May 28-June 3, 2018)
(BBQ Articles & Recipes -- Barbecue Trivia & Facts)
• International Pickle Week (May 20-30, 2016 [10 days]) Observed for more than 50 years, it is one of the longest running food promotions (Pickle Trivia -- Pickle Recipes)
On this day in:
1779 Thomas Chippendale, famous furniture designer and maker died.
1892 The Sierra Club is formed in San Francisco for nature conservation.
1897 Jell-O was introduced. (Jell-O Trivia & Facts)
1910 T-Bone Walker, blues guitarist, was born in Linden, Texas.
1934 The Dionne Quintuplets were born to Elizire and Oliva Dionne in Ontario, Canada. They were the first quintuplets known to survive their infancy.
1937 The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco officially opened to vehicle traffic on the 2nd day of a week-long opening celebration.
1944 Gladys Knight was born. (Gladys Knight & the Pips). A 'Pip' is the small seed of a fruit, like those in an apple.
1999 After 22 years of controversial restoration, Leonardo de Vinci's masterpiece 'The Last Supper' is returned to public display.
2003 The first cloned horse was born in a natural delivery. Cloned horses are currently banned from racing.
2010 Hawaii became the first state to ban the sale, possession, trade or distribution of shark fins. The law is designed to prevent the over fishing and extinction of sharks harvested for their fins. (Shark Trivia & Facts)